November 13, 2009

Tricky Words-2

The following words seem to create confusion. This list will help you find just the right word and its correct usage.

Different from, Different than

Different from is preferred in most cases, especially if it is followed by a single noun, pronoun, or short phrase.

Her reading style is different from mine.

Different than is used if it avoids wordiness or is followed by a clause.

Wordy: Writing style today is different from what it was a century ago.
Better: Writing style today is different than a century ago.

Fewer, Less

Fewer is used with individual items that can be counted (fewer potatoes); less is used for bulk, when the item is regarded as a single entity (less oatmeal).

The fewer mistakes you make, the less guilty you feel.

Note: When Less is used, a singular verb is used, while when Fewer is used, a plural verb is used.

"Less fat is needed if fewer calories are to be consumed."

I, Me, Myself

I should be used when it is the subject of a sentence.

My sister and I went to the cricket match.

Me should be used when it is the object of the action or thought conveyed by the verb of the sentence, or when it is the object of a preposition.

Rebecca invited Ron and me to her birthday party.

Myself is correctly used for emphasis ( I, myself, will look into the matter ) or as a reflexive ( I hurt myself falling from the chair ).

Note: Do not use myself as a substitute for I and me.

Wrong: The documents were given to my partner and myself.
Right: The documents were given to my partner and me.

Wrong: Rohan and myself are writing software programmes for creating a new application.
Right: Rohan and I are writing software programmes for creating a new application.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The content of this post can be forwarded, published,
printed and distributed without the consent of the owner
of Perfect Editing Solutions. However, the URL
(http://www.perfectediting.com) must be mentioned
wherever this post is reproduced.