October 22, 2009

Parentheses ( )

Parentheses ( ) are included into a sentence to enclose less important or explanatory information.

Use Parentheses in the following cases:

1. To set off explanatory or nonessential matter

"It is only in good writing that you will find how words are best used, what shades of meaning they can be made to carry, and by what devices (or lack of them) the reader is kept going smoothly or bogged down."

2. To provide or spell out an acronym

I want to create a LAN (Local Area Network) at office.

Punctuate sentences with parentheses as follows:

When the Parenthetical content is a complete statement, include punctuation within the parentheses.

(Don't expect me until midnight.)

When a Parenthetical matter falls in the middle or at the end of a sentence, place the necessary punctuation after the closing parenthesis.

If I arrive late (and it's quite likely), please let me in.

Do not put a comma, semicolon, or dash before an opening parenthesis.

Wrong: When I reach, (even if it's late), I'd appreciate a cup of coffee.

Right: When I reach (even if it's late), I'd appreciate a cup of coffee.