March 18, 2009

Some Conjunctions and Their Uses

"A Conjunction is a word which merely joins together sentences, and sometimes words."

Some Conjunctions and their uses:

Since, as a Conjunction means-

1) From and after the time when; as

Many things have happened since I left college.
I have never seen her since that sad incident happened.

Note: Since, when used as a Conjunction in this sense, should be preceded by a verb in the present perfect tense, and followed by a verb in the simple past tense.

2) Seeing that, in as much as; as

Since you will not work, you shall not eat.

Or is used-

1) To introduce an alternative, as

She must work or starve.

Note: There may be several alternatives, each joining to the preceding one by or, presenting a choice between any two in the series.

You may study medicine or architecture or engineering, or you may enter into business.

2) To introduce an alternative name or synonym; as,

The violin or fiddle has become the main instrument of the modern orchestra.

3) To mean otherwise; as,

We must go now or we will be late.

4) As nearly equivalent to and; as,

The soldiers were not lacking in strength or courage, but they were badly fed.

If is used to mean-

1) On the condition or supposition that; as,

If it rains, I will not go.

2) Admitting that; as,

If I am stupid, I am at least honest.

3) Whether; as,

I asked her if she would help me.

4) Whenever; as,

If you have any doubt, let me know.

If is also used to express wish or surprise; as,

If I only knew!

Than as a Conjunction, follows adjectives and adverbs in the comparative degree; as,

I see you oftener than (I see) her.

While is used to mean-

1) During the time that, as long as; as

While she was sleeping, a thief entered the house.

2) At the same time that; as,

The boys danced while the girls played.

3) Whereas; as

While Tom has no money to spend, Peter has nothing to spend on.

Only as a Conjunction, means except that, but, were it not (that); as,

A very handsome man, only he squints a little.
The evening is pleasant, only rather cold.