January 15, 2013

Bring on the New Year—With a Brand New Cover Letter

Here it is—2013––the new year we've been waiting for over the past couple of months. It's the perfect time to put your goals in order with a sizzlin' new cover letter at the top of your list.

Employers are setting their goals as well. They're in the market for qualified job-hunters, people who are ready and willing to fill responsible and good-paying positions in their companies. You can be one of those individuals. Introduce yourself with a well-written cover letter that catches their eye and compels them to select you for an interview.

More Job Interviews in the New Year!

What does it take to create a cover letter that shines with friendly language and practical information? Four simple ingredients:

1. A warm greeting.

Dear Ms. Smith:

Happy New Year! I was excited to see your ad for a qualified person to fill the position of general manager of the ABC Corporation. It seems you were writing directly to me, as I have had managerial experience over the past five years . . .

2. A clear point.

In fact, all of the duties I've performed as assistant manager of XYZ Company have prepared me for the next level. I am ready and eager to assume the full responsibilities of general manager. I'm known for my leadership as well as my ability to handle a crisis with a level head . . .

3. A tangible goal.

My objective for the next twelve months is to encourage my peers and subordinates and to increase the bottom line of the company I work for. Customer service and satisfying employee relations are my primary goals . . .

4. A future plan.

May we meet in person to discuss this job? I'd welcome the opportunity to hear your objectives for the man or woman you hire and to provide you with examples of why I believe I'm the person to fill the position and to help promote the company's vision and mission. Please call me at 555-555-5555 at your convenience.

Glad Tidings To You!

Finish writing your cover letter and then take a long and honest look at it. Does it include the four ingredients listed above? Does it sound friendly yet professional? Does it reflect you at your best? If your answer to any of these questions is 'no' then go back and rework that section until it feels just right. Cut, chop, slice, and dice any words or phrases that don't match your personality. Keep in mind the most important thing you can do on paper and in person is to be yourself.

Raise Your Glass to A Fruitful New Year!

Add a splash of kindness, a sprinkling of facts, and a dollop of personality. Mix with an attitude of gratitude. Then raise your glass to the New Year—the year that will lead you to new employment and new opportunities––the result of a great cover letter that presents your unique self.

Happy New Year and happy job hunting!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: Jimmy Sweeney is the president of CareerJimmy and author of the brand new, "Amazing Cover Letter Creator."